Thursday, May 6, 2010

Eric Carle's Animals Animals


This book is full of such a large variety of animals. The pictures are great and intriguing to the eye. This would be a really good teaching book for talking about animals or poetry or even both. It would be great to ask students to write a poem about their favorite animal and draw inspiration from this book.
I really like that Carle uses poetry from many different sources and not just his own. This can teach children that poetry is everywhere and anyone can write it. This also can teach students to appreciate other people's poetry and not just their own. Another great thing to do with this, would be to have students search for their favorite poem, write it out and draw a picture to go with it. I also like that this book has all different types of poetry. This is good for kids to see because they need to know that there is not one right form of writing poetry and it can come in many different shapes.
This is a book that I would love to have in my future classroom. I would refer to maybe a poem a day out of it just to let my students listen to poetry in a fun way. I think that a lot of time, kids do not like poetry because it is put into one single unit and they are on poetry overload for 2 weeks time. Teachers should refer to poetry regularly and give a wide range of how it can be done. We should not just teach haikus or lunes. I would recommend this book to be in every elementary classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment