Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I Never Knew Your Name

This book confused me at first because I was trying to spot the controversy right away. I didn't realize that it had been building all along with the kid always being so lonely and being made fun of by others. Then, the boy sees him crying and it hit me that this boy is really lonely and depressed. I like that the book is so simple and normal, yet it goes into such a big issue. Suicide is an issue that I do think needs to be addressed in the classroom before any event like this happens. It is important for kids to realize that when they do not reach out, they are losing the opportunity for friendship. Just by talking to someone who seems lonely, can make a huge impact on someone's life. Yes, death is a tough issue to deal with but I think that a lot of times teachers think that the issue needs to be ignored and dealt with by the parents. This is also a good book to go along with the issue of bullying. Students need to be aware of the actions that they make. This is a very powerful book that can teach students how much of an impact they can have on each other. I love that the author never fully comes out and says that the boy has committed suicide. This gives the reader's a lingering wonder and lets him/her infer what has happened when the obituary is in the paper. Seeing that the little boy regrets not becoming friends with him, may help students to open up to others that they may just be too scared to talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment