Thursday, March 18, 2010

Class Reflection

So far, I have really enjoyed reading all different types of children's literature. I have opened up to a lot of books that I would have never thought to want to read. I'm so glad that we read the graphic novels because I normally would have no desire to read one. I ended up having my child study student read one and he loved it. I will remember this type of book for my future classroom because it would be a great recommendation for a student that is bored with books and artistically talented. I am also glad that we read the controversial books because I have always though about some of those controversial topics but have been concerned about how I would address them in my classroom. I plan to bring this books in to introduce the topic. This would be much easier and may answer a lot of questions that kids may have on the subject. I also have started to notice so many new things in picture books, like the illustrations and how they support the text, the author's target audience and how I can incorporate some books into activities for students. I really enjoyed reading both, The Giver and Misfits. They are both great books for a 5th or 6th grade class. They both touch on very important topics of name-calling and also the problems with same-ness. Learning about the different genres was very helpful for me because I have learned in block A that bringing in a variety of different genres into my classroom is very important. I had no clue that there were so many different kinds. I think that this is very important in order to widen the child's book choice and spark the interests of all students. So far, this class has really overlapped and supported me in my other classes. I cannot wait to see what will come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment